Friday, August 21, 2009

Week 1(b) Day 3

I run on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Yesterday (Thursday) I decided to go to the gym and do some light cardio. I decided to take my first venture on the elliptical machine. Big mistake.

I think the elliptical machine is the most evil thing ever invented. It is completely unnatural movement to me and I don't know if it's because of my height or what is normal for me, but this thing hurt! It wasn't the good kind of hurt either. Not the "oh, I'm getting some new muscles worked our here that feels good", but rather "crap, I think this think is shredding my quads and my knee apart".

Being stubborn, not wanting to be the fat guy in the room who got on the elliptical for 30 seconds and got off beacuse he was tired, I kept it up for 5 minutes before moving to the treadmill for another 20 minutes of a 4MPH walk. My knee hurt slightly the entire time.

I spent the rest of Thursday with my knee hurting. I took about 30 minutes before bed last night thorougly icing it and slept with it elevated. It felt good when I woke up this morning, but I was really nervous how it would feel when I got on the treadmill this morning.

Well, I got through it with no pain. I finished 1.81 miles today putting my total cardio for the week at 6.47 miles. I also weighed myself on Thursday and I've dropped 5.5 pounds in 9 days. My fitness level feels a lot better already and the weight loss is a huge added bonus. Feeling great!

Today, I even did my last running interval for 90 seconds instead of 60 just to see how it felt since next week is all 90 second runs. It felt good. I'm fired up for Week 2! Now for 2 days off from cardio to rest the legs so I can go bigger on Monday...

1 comment: