Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Week 1(a) Day 2

So, my "workout partner" who was so gung-ho to start this with me failed to show. Again. Looks like I'm going it alone. For those of you who missed the first post, here's my modified Week 1 workout before starting the real Week 1 (because I'm really out of shape, and I'm trying to get fit... not have a heart attack):

Stretch
5 minute warm-up walk
Alternate 60 seconds of running/90 seconds of walking for 10 minutes
Brisk walk for 10 minutes
Alternate 60 seconds of running/90 seconds of walking for 10 minutes
Stretch

I did slightly increase my speed/distance today as I completed a bit over 1/10 of a mile more than I did on Day 1.

My body reacted a little differently than it did on Day 1. When I went in this morning, my quads were still a bit sore from Day 1 but they quickly warmed up and were pain free by the end of the 5 minutes warm-up walk at the beginning.

My calves started getting tight and burning (not really cramping) during the second run interval. I set my focus on really relaxing my muscles and just letting the running come naturally rather than trying to force it, this helped greatly and my calves didn't hurt for the rest of the workout (though I did feel some fatigue).

My heart rate did a little better this time (surprising for only my second workout) and recovered A LOT faster than it did after Week 1(a) Day 1.

I feel good... I'm sure the quads will stiffen up again and I'll experience a little more soreness from this workout than the 2nd as my muscles were already somewhat hurting. I am expecting Day 3 to be a bit of a mental challenge on Friday and will look forward to two days of recovery over the weekend before hitting it back up on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment