Monday, August 24, 2009

I Almost Quit Today (Week 2 Day 1)

Today is one of those days which would have been really easy to just quit and go home... at least for the day. In all likelihood, that would've started a spiral downward because once you can quit once... it gets easier to do again.

I got to my gym at 5:35am as it opens at 5:30. The problem was... there was nobody there. Well, correction, there were no employees there. My running partner and one other member were outside waiting. Then 2 more members showed up. At 5:45am my running partner left and went home. I decided to wait a few more minutes because I knew the potential downfall of going home even once. At 5:54 (24 minutes late) the girl who opens the gym showed up. No apologies, no good morning, just shuffling in and sitting down behind the desk.

Anyhow, today was the beginning of Week 2 in the Couch to 5k Program - an interval training program to take you from inactive to running 3.1 miles (or 30 minutes) in 9 weeks. Week 2 breaks down like this:

5 minute warm-up walk
1.5 minutes running/2 minutes walking for 20 minutes.

Day 1 of this felt pretty good. A little burning in the front/side of the calves during the 2nd run interval, but nothing terrible. Pushed through it.

I knew I could run 90 seconds straight as I finished up Friday's run with a 90 second jog, I just didn't know if I could keep it up repeatedly for 20 minutes in intervals. I was very happy to say I made it through each of them. The last 90 second run was starting to stretch the cardio a little (that's kinda the point I think) but I finished strong and did a 3 minute cool down walk.

1.85 miles today. Felt great. Looking forward to Wednesday and (hopefully) starting at 5:30am and not 6am. Hoping my running partner doesn't give up based on this 1 bad experience.

2 comments:

  1. Eric, you have totally inspired me to try this program again.... thanks buddy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job on not giving up! I had to really push myself hard on day 2 of week 4. I knew how hard I would be on myself if I did quit and that kept me going. I finished feeling so exhausted and a little sick to my stomach but I finished it and that made me feel so good! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete