Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Persistence (Week 4 Day 2)

"Never let what you can't do stop you from doing what you can do."

Wow, not sure what happened last night but I woke up so tired and my legs were just dead. Regardless, I knew I had to go run... giving up one day makes it too easy to give up the next day.

The 5-minute warm-up walk went well, and the first 3 minute run breezed by pretty quickly. After that though... I knew I was in trouble. The first 5-minute run interval was rough... I tried to talk myself into quitting about halfway through it but pushed through and finished the full 5-minutes.

The second 3rd minute run interval was soooo hard, and at the end of it I almost gave up for the day and went home. Thankfully, at that time, "Big Pimpin" by Jay-Z came on the iPod and motivated me to at least walk out the remaining time.

I just didn't have the last 5 minute run in me... my legs were dead today, I was physically exhausted going in and knew if I pushed too hard I was going to hurt something because I could feel my running form being altered by the soreness in my legs.

I know I'm entitled to bad days, and I'm not disheartened by it. I'm going to take an extra rest day tomorrow and not go to the gym at all. I plan on absolutely smashing W4D3 on Friday.

Side note: To the exceptionally beautiful girl who was on the elliptical when I went into the cardio room... Hi! :-)

4 comments:

  1. If you're listen to a Jay-Z song, it needs to be "Show Me What You Got" or whatever that song is called. Show me what you got.

    A runner friend of mine who's an amazing runner once told me that your body will go harder than your mind wants to let it. Your mind wants to tell you to back off, slow down, ease up, etc., but you can go harder than you think you can.

    I love your drive. If you're competitive with yourself (which you are, which I am), you'll make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still really proud of you Eric. We all have our off days, but you went to the gym anyway... that says a lot about your character. Keep on keeping on babe!

    PS. hilarious about your girl shout out... did you at least get her number? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Eric! You're right, it is so much easier to shut up shop and go home but pays great dividends to push through. But you've got the smarts when it comes to knowing your own limits as far as when pushing is going to be dangerous.

    Hard slog today but the rebound will see you twice as strong next time you hit the track! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you at? Doing okay? I haven't heard from you and could really use your great encouragement! Hope things are well. I'm thinking maybe you're just too busy with your exceptionally beautiful girl from the elliptical...

    ReplyDelete